Estd: 1550: The History
The foundation of the fort was laid in the early 14th century by the Naruka Rajputs and after a fierce battle they lost the fort to the Nathawat Rajputs, who remain the owners to this day.
In 1550 a great-grandson of Raja Prithviraj Singh Ji of Amer (now: Jaipur) - Thakur Jaswant Singh Ji was given the estate of Mundota which at that time spread over many villages. He then decided to build a palace at the foothill which was expanded over generations. The fort serves as a first line of defence for Jaipur against western enemies and has seen many battles and skirmishes through time.
The Thakurs of Mundota were known for exceptional bravery, having fought in many notable battles; such as those of Kabul, Ghazni, Kakaur, Mawanda, Kushtal Pancholas to name some. Their army fought and defeated five Afghan rulers and gifted those battle-won flags to the Maharaja of Amer (now: Jaipur) who converted them into the Pachranga flag of Amer, in return the Maharaja honoured the Nathawats with the white Kachchawa flag with Kachnar insignia. Mundota remains the proud custodian of that flag.
The palace and fort, as it can be seen today, tells the tale of its brave and loyal benefactors, and with the coming of the modern era it has been transformed into one of the most spectacular luxury travel destinations of the region.
2020: Luxury meets history after a seven year restoration
Abandoned generations ago, the impressive fort was built atop the granite hill, as much to serve as a lookout as to provide an early line of defence against attacks on Jaipur. Turrets and watchtowers ensured an eagle’s eye view of the surrounding plains on all sides, blocking all possibility of a stealthy approach by the enemy. Thick walls dotted with openings for muskets added to the fort’s impregnable position.
Through the years of disuse, the fort had succumbed to the inroads made by time. Creeping decay, rubble from crumbled inner portions, and overgrown vegetation bearing thorns and brambles marked the fort, now inhabited by denizens who crawled, and an army of monkeys which found shelter within the high walls.
The property is currently owned by the 20th generation of the Mundota family, when the family decided to restore the fort and took a closer look at the property, the challenges were formidable. There was no approach up the hill which was steep and full of thorns. Surprises waltzed at every point, the fort had been inhabited by bats. The thick walls, almost two metres in some places, were formidable. They were so strong, and the owners wanted to preserve them as they were. That has been the idea behind the property - keeping the original structure and style intact, stone was used instead of marble on floors and walls. Also keeping in mind the fact this was a strategic warrior fort, meant to protect rather than house royalty, the furnishings are stark and minimal. Natural rock faces that jutted through the limestone finishing in places add to the realism of being in what was once a rocky refuge.
After an intensive seven-year restoration, the Mundota War Fort retains its original structure of towering turrets and and imposing walls. It offers an intimate
experience with only five luxury suites, all supplied with modern conveniences along with a private plunge pool or jacuzzi. Following a farm-to-table concept, the property offers its guests curated dining experiences with a new daily menu featuring vegetables & dairy products from the
property’s private farm. Mundota was always known for its horses, and keeping the tradition alive - the family have their own private horse polo ground which houses some of India’s finest thorough-bred Polo ponies. Guests are offered exclusive access to the Polo
grounds and the horses.